Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Style checklist

After a very busy month I took a few weeks for relaxing, now I think it's time to return to game development!

I had a kind of weird (new) experience about game design in the previous weeks. I have been thinking in the "mysterious" game I'm planning to do (I swear I will decide soon a provisional name!), but while I started to think about the game and the universe where it unfolds I often ended up thinking on an old game I used to make; an adventure game, with heroes, magic, fights against monsters, and so on, a kind of classic game that really inspires me.

The plan for the game I'm working on right now is different, I was thinking on making a deep psychological game, with a kind of weak and vulnerable main character. If you read my previous post I had the main music theme for the game, and I was looking to make a sad and unpleasing song with just a little light of hope. The problem is that I was having a hard time to imagine the universe for this game because I just couldn't concentrate very much on it.

This days off helped me to realize the reason why I couldn't concentrate in my new game and why I often ended up dreaming about my previous game. It seems obvious for me now: depressing games are just not my style!
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I never will make a deep psychological game, and that I will always going to make games about magical heroes and adventures, I just need to find my way to make the games, if they are deep and psychological, or simple and funny, it doesn't matter, there should be a way to make them on my way.

It's cool, because some artists use to look for a style - their style, and I feel I'm starting to develop a better perception of what my style is. I have decided that, even if I'm looking to create some simple games to grind some game-dev exp. points, I won't start any games that don't match with my style, at the end of the day, that is the greatest thing of being an indie game developer!

I developed this small checklist to analyze before starting any projects, I put it here for my own reference, but maybe it could help you too if you are a gave developer. From now on, I will ask myself the following things about the game to make:
  1. Do you like how the game would look in your personal portfolio? Would you feel proud of showing it to other people?
  2. Does the game inspires you? Do you find yourself imagining some cool scenes about your game?
  3. Is the game compatible with you? The idea could be cool, but maybe what you want for you as a game developer is not really going in that way.
  4. Are you eager to play your game? (If you are not, then who?)
  5. Would you find interesting the experience your game provides? (think that interesting could be the feeling you want to transmit, for example fun, suspense, etc)
Probably there are a lot of other points you could check, but for now I'm going to focus in these 5 points. Even when those 5 points seem to be very basic things, somehow I was just missing MOST OF THEM!

Let's see what I can think and create for this new game, hopefully my next post would show some results!

No comments:

Post a Comment